• Size of the characters:
  • Small
  • M
  • L

Child allowance (single parent)

Published 2020 years 12 month 24 Date

Last updated 2022 years 05 month 10 Date

Child rearing allowance is intended to help stabilize the independence of the lives of single-parent families who are raising children who are not living with their father or mother due to the divorce of their parents, etc., and to promote the welfare of children. This is a medical allowance for children.


 Those who are raising a child who falls under any of the following on behalf of a father or mother or parents who are custody of the child.The allowance will be paid until the end of the year to which the child reaches the age of 18.
 However, if the child has a disability to the extent specified by a Cabinet Order (generally, the disability certificate 20, XNUMX, XNUMX grade, the nursing certificate "A", the special child-rearing allowance will be provided), it will be provided until the age of XNUMX. Will be done.

  • Children who are not living with their father or mother after their parents have divorced
  • Child whose father or mother died
  • Children whose father or mother is in a severely disabled state (National Pension disability grade XNUMX)
  • Child whose life or death of father or mother is not clear
  • Children who have been abandoned by their father or mother for more than XNUMX year
  • Children whose father or mother received a DV protection order
  • Children whose father or mother has been detained for more than one year by law
  • A child whose mother was born without being married
  • Children whose parents are unknown

 The requirement for payment for a parent-child family is that the child is in custody and has the same livelihood.

 Even if the above applies, the allowance will not be paid in the following cases.

  • When the father or mother, caregiver or child does not have an address in Japan
  • When the child is in a child welfare facility or is entrusted to a foster parent
  • When the child is nurtured by a spouse (including family relationships) of mother or father
  • When father, mother, or caregiver can receive public pension benefit

  * Depending on the amount of public pension received, you may be able to receive the allowance.Please contact us for details.

[Review of combined payment of disability pension and child-rearing allowance]

 Single-parent families receiving a disability pension cannot receive a child-rearing allowance if the disability pension exceeds the child-rearing allowance, and those who have difficulty working are in a difficult economic situation. , Part of the Child Rearing Allowance Law has been amended, and from March 3rd year of Reiwa, the difference between the amount of the Child Rearing Allowance and the amount of the additional portion of the child with a disability pension can be received as the Child Rearing Allowance. I will.

 Those who receive public pensions other than disability basic pensions (those who do not receive disability basic pensions) (*) will be changed to the range of public pensions to be adjusted even after this revision. Therefore, if the amount of public pension, etc. is less than the amount of child-rearing allowance, the difference can be received as child-rearing allowance.

  • Those who receive only public pensions other than disability pensions such as survivor's pension, old-age pension, workers' accident compensation pension, and survivor's compensation, and disability welfare pension (3rd grade).
    After the allowance for March 3rd year of Reiwa, tax-exempt public pension benefits, etc. (disability pension, survivor's pension, work-related accident pension, survivor's compensation, etc.) )It is included.
  • Those who have already been certified as eligible for Child Rearing Allowance do not need to apply.Others need to apply.Please contact the person in charge for details such as required documents.

Review of combined payment of disability pension and child-rearing allowance [PDF: 228KB]

[Procedure method]

 Those who meet the eligibility requirements must complete the procedure at the Child Health Promotion Division.It will take some time, so please come with plenty of time.
 In addition, it is necessary to submit a "certification invoice" for the procedure.In addition, the documents to be submitted vary depending on the applicable requirements.Please contact the person in charge for details.

[Required for certification]

  • seal
  • Those who know the personal number (applicant and target children)
  • A copy of the family register of the applicant and the target child 
  • Those who know the basic pension number (pensionpocket book)
  • Those who know the transfer account of the applicant

[Payment amount] 

             Monthly Child Rearing Allowance * As of April 4, 4th year of Reiwa

Target number of children

Monthly allowance

All provided

Partially paid

When one child

43,070 JPY

From 10,160 yen to 43,060 yen depending on income

Additional amount for the second child

10,170 JPY

From 5,090 yen to 10,160 yen depending on income

Additional amount for the third and subsequent children

6,100 JPY

From 3,050 yen to 6,090 yen depending on income

 In odd-numbered months (November, January, March, May, July, September), payments will be made six times a year for the two months up to the previous month.


 Even after being certified as an allowance, it is necessary to submit a "status report" every August for examination of payment requirements.
 If you do not submit the status report, the payment of the allowance after August may be stopped or you may not be able to receive the payment.
 Even if you submit a status report, the allowance may change or not be paid depending on the household situation and the amount of income of the previous year.

If any of the following conditions apply, please notify us immediately.

  • When the household status differs from the notification.
  • When the address is changed due to relocation.
  • When the name etc. is changed (including the name change of the bank account)
  • When you no longer meet the requirements for child support allowance due to marriage.

 If you no longer meet the requirements for receiving the allowance due to reasons such as marriage or moving, please notify us immediately.
 If you receive the allowance without making a notification, you will be required to return the allowance amount paid from the time you are no longer eligible to receive the allowance until the end of the procedure for any reason.

Contact us

Children's Health Promotion Division
Address: Health and Welfare Research Center
TEL: 0268-75-2045
FAX: 0268-68-3798

The viewing of the PDF you must have Adobe System Inc.'s free software "Adobe Reader". Please obtain from the Adobe Reader download page of the following.

Adobe Reader Download